After almost 3 months, I’m finally getting around to posting photos of the completed barn stall design which ended up being remodeled a second time.
The box-bed idea was a grand idea – except it was too short for the bovines to lay in comfortably AND they had a hard time stepping in and out of it. The corner-feeder bins were also really neat (also VERY hard to build so I felt bad unscrewing all my hard work) but since the bins were inside the stall, it gave them less room to lunge forward.
Only a few minor changes were required so I removed the back of the box-bed so that the stalls have open ends. We built a double brace for the middle partition and secured all angled partitions with a 3-foot rebar rod pounded into the gravel floor. For the feeders I combined two ideas: we built a “V” frame with a neck bar and in front of it I attached a section of cattle panel which is bent into a half circle.
I have the option to tie them but haven’t needed to as Briar and Boaz seem to know whose stall is whose. 🙂 Hay waste has drastically improved and the messes are all at the BACK of each stall where it’s easily forked out the back door instead of being all smashed in their bedding. With my previous lay-out I used an incredible amount of bedding simply because it soiled so fast – now I can flake it out, spread nice and thick in each stall, and by the end of the week it is still fluffy and usable. Minus Boaz’s stall – he puddles in the middle. 😛
The bovines love their new stalls and I’m lovin’ it too! So efficient and practical. 🙂
Feeder Design: Front
Boaz eating from his feeder: to discourage them from pulling hay through the sides of the “V” I stapled field fence to the frame.
Just a cute random shot: Briar “Peekaboo”